Monday, March 18, 2013

Introducing Dee Dee


So a while ago I found a lump in my left breast while doing a self breast exam. My parents were on vacation in the Cape for Shaffie's (my step-dad's) birthday so I waited for them to come home so not to freak them out and never them go on vacation ever again and I went to my OBGYN, Dr. Bowling on Wednesday February 20th. She felt the lump and believed it was a cyst and attempted to aspirate, which turned out terribly because I ended up bleeding all over everywhere. So after realizing that aspirating was not the best idea she sent me in for an ultrasound on Wednesday February 27th where we learned that the lump was not a cyst but in fact another tumor.
We spent all of that day at Woman and Infants and got a biopsy in the afternoon. The tumor, a fibroadenoma, is benign but the concern is its size. From my understanding it is pretty big, about 3 inches long. We met with Dr. Jennifer Gass, a breast surgeon.  The surgery will be on Thursday May 30th, after the semester is over.  It will be a easy surgery (compared to brain surgery its all easy in my opinion). Outpatient surgery, hopefully I'd be the first one: in at 6:00 in the morning, surgery at 7:30 and I should be home that day. A week of relaxation: basically a week off from work and school.  I think I need a week of retail therapy anyways, right?
So I'm not too freaked out yet but I'm the fact that my body is growing more tumors is a little on the scary side. But we're ready to handle whatever life throws at us, and I'm ready to fight it.
Oh and with the help of Brooke we've named the new tumor DeeDee, so now Timmy has a new friend... :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry sweetie that you are going through this, this is very scary and you are a brave one, let me tell you, I would be freaking out the about now until surgery day.
    Give you props and I will keep you in my thoughts until that day comes.
    Keep your head up and I love your positive attitude is inspiring.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about the news but I do like how you kept a positive out look on things

    ReplyDelete