Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Prom Queen from a hospital bed

The good side of teens in the media:


Breathing crisis threatens dying Tennessee teen’s prom — but friends and family still make her wish come true


Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/breathing-crisis-threatens-dying-teen-prom-friends-family-save-day-article-1.1300553#ixzz2On45INC5


I understand how Katelyn feels to an extent.  I had been in Hasbro Children's Hospital for two months by the time my Junior Prom happened, and my doctors had told me that there was a slight chance that I would be healthy enough to make it out in time.  And my current boyfriend had promised that no matter what I looked like (I didn't have the best hair styles at the time) or how long I could stay he was going to take me to the prom if I was allowed to go.  Unfortunately I was unable to make it out in time for my prom but I was still awarded Prom Queen and one of my best friends accepted for me.  The next day, there were about 20 kids who showed up at the ICU at Hasbro Hospital, which is against the rules, when you are in the ICU you can only have two people in the room at one time.  Some of the nurses tried to tell my friends that they could not come present the tiara to me because there were too many kids and it was against the rules and blah blah blah... BUT then the attending stepped in and said that it was a very special exception for a very special PICU Prom Queen.  And my favorite nurse had decorated my room with silver stars and streamers and she was wearing a plastic tiara.  



No comments:

Post a Comment