Saturday, February 23, 2013

Knowledge-able?

Argument

So what I think Wesch is saying in this piece, From Knowledgable to Knowledge-able: Learning in New Media is that students should move past just memorizing and using standardized bubble scoring methods and create more meaningful ways to engage in their learning.  And with this, the classrooms and educators also need to move into the realm of the 21st century and begin to embrace the technology that is available to them.  Wesch says, "it becomes less important for students to know, memorize, or recall information, and more important for them to be able to find, sort, analyze, share, discuss, critique, and create information.

My mother has been a teacher all her life.  She has taught in Kickemuit Middle School in Bristol Warren, she owned her own preschool, she taught in the EPIC (Enrichment) Program, she taught at Western hills Middle School for a while, before teaching 5th and 6th grades at Orchard Farms Elementary School, and at the moment she is creating the new teacher evaluation programs for the Cranston Public School District.  Basically she knows a lot about teaching.  So of course I went to her to ask her opinion on the subject:

"Of course, from an educator's perspective, we need to start using more technology to our advantage.  We need to start using technology in the classroom in order to engage kids and keep them interested, keep their focus.  Why?  Because it's second nature to them, rather than in my generation when technology was something we had to learn.  The world moves so quickly.  We need to use the same techniques students use in everyday life.  Teachers need to learn to welcome various forms of technology including cell phones... if used appropriately that is.  There should be rules set in place.  There are places that are using things like, Poll Everywhere, in their classrooms and kids are loving it.  They get to text their answers to questions and see them pop up on the board, it's really cool.  Theres also new ideas like Flipping The Classroom.  Where kids take a video home and learn the material there and come back to school and then get to talk about it in class.  If we as educators don't learn how to embrace technology in a meaningful way, we're going to loose students and we're not doing our job.  It makes our job individually obsolete.  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that kids shouldn't have to read books!!  It's just how you engage them in the discussion about the book that is key.  I believe that every American should have to read The Scarlet Letter, but it's what we  as educators do with it that should be different."


 Now personally I have the same philosophy as my mom.  I have always been a really difficult student, but not because I wasn't trying or because I was lazy or anything, but because of Timmy the Tumor pushing on my memory.  I worked my ass off throughout grade school only to pull off average grades.  The summer after I spent three months in Hasbro Hospital I had to make up grades for two of my core classes: British Literature and U.S. History.  I of course was still having a lot of short term memory loss so retaining the information was super difficult for me especially during the summer when all I wanted to do was be with my friends.  But thankfully my History teacher knew how to engage his students using technology that was appropriate, useful, and meaningful.  Mr. P and I spent the summer listening to music of the time periods from his Ipod, watching video clips of important events, and using whatever means necessary to allow my memory to retain the information.  And thankfully, for the most part, it worked.


8 comments:

  1. I can definitely agree with this! I don't think I'm that good at science, but in 10th grade, I somehow became the messiah of my chemistry class bc ~~I was so good at it~~. And thinking back on it, the teacher I had (one of my favorite teachers ever) heavily relied on technology to get us through the lessons. I'm not saying that it was the only thing that motivated me to get good grades, but it certainly made the class /easier/. I do think we need to use more technology to help our students (to a certain extent) because it's an easy tool and it's found everywhere. I mean, we've moved past abacuses, and look how much easier it's made math! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, I so agree!! I had an similar experience as Daury, my hard subject was math. I have never been a math person, my senior yr of high school I needed to pass my math class in order to graduate. Now I had previously failed this class the past year so going into it I was so nervous,not knowing that I was going to have a teacher who actually cared about all her students passing. She was the best a what she did and I went from failing all of my math exams the year before to passing the class with a 98.I realized from young that I am an average student who has to work my butt off to do really well. The problem That i have and a lot of other students have is if I am not interested in the class or at lease in what is being presented to me I will slack off big time and not want to attend class. I'm pretty sure a lot of students can agree with me. It is so important that teachers and professors stay recent and caught up with the new ways of helping students learn. But I also think that It's a two way street, it can't be put just on teachers but students should make a conscious effort to attempt to participate as well. if everyone does there part then school will be extremely successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked that you used the quote in your blog from your Mom because a.) it's adorable and b.) she makes a real-world argument for the use of technology in classrooms from the perspective of somebody who works in that environment and sees these changes taking place. But I guess the question on my mind is, what about students who may not be able to learn that way? People have millions of ideas about what the "best" way to educate children is. When I was in school it was flashcards, memorization, reading and writing. Now it's youtube, tumblr, twitter and other media sources of that nature. It's a strange new world out there and hopefully we'll be able to adapt. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least one of your classmates used this post for extended comments. I must tell you I think naming Timmy takes away its power and it makes me giggle every time I read it because Ive named painful body invading things before and thought i was the only one.

    You raise an interesting point(even if not explicitly) that technology can help us reach many different kinds of students and this does not have to be a clear cut issue.
    Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents thought it was really weird at first because I just started saying stuff like "Timmy's giving me a headache today" and they were all freaked out but my entire family, not to mention most of my doctors, are so used to it now and it makes it so much easier for me. And after the last surgery my new shunt is now Sasha.

      Delete
  5. Your mom sounds absolutely amazing. It's nice to hear that there are teachers thinking about this on the K-12 level. Wesch's article mainly focused on college classrooms (or perhaps this was only implied because of the image of his classroom used in the video), but I think there needs to be a serious conversation about finding ways to engage in students BEFORE they enter the university. K-12 is where we learn a lot of our foundational learning methods, it's where we develop a love or hate for learning and education. If we can start engaging more students who are younger than perhaps we would have more university graduates studying field outside of just what's 'practical' (like business,communications, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with moving into the 21st century some professors/ teachers, etc need to incorporate more ways of learning on a chalk board overhead projector. I think that if there were more ways of learning. If conversations and learning was more two way then one way we would learn more

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your mom completely. In order to keep kids interested we need to speak to their interests--technology is second nature to students now. Students of the 21st century are digital learners, that is the reality and there is simply no way around it really. Your mom is right, the world does move so quickly; everyone needs to keep up. That includes students, professors, teachers, administrators etc.

    ReplyDelete