Saturday, February 16, 2013

Vagina Monologues

So I went to the Vagina Monologues on Friday night at 7:00.  This is the video that I will really remember most.


My core 3 was Women's Roles in the Middle East and North Africa and my Core 4 was Where in the World is Gender Inequality and in both courses we did a lot of work reading about things like FGM (Female Genital Mutilation), rape, oppression, and death.  We read the stories in Kristof and Wudunn's Half the Sky and they really made an impression.  So I feel like these are connected.


Even though I have seen the Vagina Monologues before, I feel as though I have a new perspective while watching it this time after taking GEND 200 last semester.  For some reason I just felt more empowered and less awkward about myself, my body, and my vagina.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you came to the Vagina Monologues this weekend, Noelle! I love seeing people from my classes. I'm also wicked happy to see that your experiences have changed a bit for you since you last saw them. It makes me so happy to see that there was something big you got out of these performance. It's really awesome for me because when we were putting this show on, we were told to focus on the activism aspect of the show rather than the acting portion. This year was especially awesome because with that video, I feel like there was so much more visual understanding for the audiences that it really bound us, the actors, crew, and audience together in a bond of solidarity. Thank you so much for joining us on that mission!

    ReplyDelete