Saturday, February 16, 2013

Talking Point 4: The Rise & Fall

Hyperlinks

I found this piece to be really interesting and I connected it to this video that I found while I was searching for my group's media artifact.


I thought this video summed up what the article's views on teenagers, along with many adult's views on teenagers -- as a not quite competent person, beset by stress and hormones.  

Growing up as a teenager, I was one of the ones who thought it was totally unfair that we had so many responsibilities and little to show for it.  However, now I agree with the article when it says that defining a person strictly in terms of age feels natural to contemporary Americans... this young person is mature enough to drive or to vote, while another one the same age is not.  

The whole getting your license at 16 is a sore subject for me in the first place since I went into the hospital the week I was scheduled to take my drivers test and was unable to take my test until well over year later, and I have had my license taken away multiple times due to seizures since then.  And my mom is like the parent in this commercial to this day where she still makes sure that I am being careful.


My mom was also the one who made sure that both myself and my older brother, Bubba were both informed at the proper age.  My brother and I actually make fun of her for her conversation with Bubba.  It was right after he started dating his first girlfriend and she tried to make it very serious and they were sitting in the parking lot outside of a diner in Narragansett one summer and she was so flustered that she said:
"15 year-old boys shouldn't be mothers"
That pretty much ended the conversation because neither of them could take it seriously after that.  Thankfully, my brother listened to my mom, and is now a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force now stationed in Anchorage Alaska, who will be deployed in Afghanistan in May and has yet to start his family.

But that brings me to the point that really bothered me about this article.  How could a woman go 9 months without realizing she's pregnant?  



2 comments:

  1. i liked your post
    i liked the part about the teen brain show
    have you watched a tv show called i didn't know i was pregnant i think that is what it is called

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! all the links are super cool and your page is fab!. I agree with the links you chose and found them to be an entertaining way to describe the article

    ReplyDelete