Friday, February 8, 2013

Vagina Monologues 2011

So I'm already planning on going to the Vagina Monologues on Friday February 15th at 7:00 in Gaige Hall.  But I remembered that the woman whom I got really attached to while I was in Hasbro Hospital the first time back in 2008 was in Vagina Monologues in 2011 (the show was fantastic) and I asked her if she had the clip so I could post it on my blog.

Patrick and Kerry had a son named Finnegan who had the room across the hall from me in the Intensive Care Unit while I was in Hasbro.  We had the same pediatrician so we got to know each other pretty quickly.  I like to say that I adopted Finn as my little brother and Kerry and Patrick as another set of parents.  




He was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth but he was in remarkably good health until the bowel obstruction on Feb. 11, 2008.  He had cardiac arrest after his first surgery, and 5 more surgeries in the following 8 days, reducing the length of his small intestines by 2/3s.  He had also endured quite possibly every complication during his hospitalization,  

- several pneumonias- a trachaeostomy to improve range of motion while on a ventilator (which was the majority if the time) - a pseudoaneyurysm the size of a baseball on his femoral artery- a clot in the portal vein in his liver, resulting in high blood pressure- liver damage from long-term IV nutrition (compounded by his CF)- fairly regular finger pricks for blood sugar monitoring, and- occasional heavy sedation and withdrawals associated there with, anxiety, and depression       
Finn passed away at the age of 5, on March 20, 2009.

Anyways here is her Vagina Monologue:



No comments:

Post a Comment